Monday, September 11, 2006

Pursuit of Truth

The following was my editorial viewpoint that ran in today's (9/11) newspaper:


It has been five years to the day since the horrific tragedy of 9/11. Five years since thousands of innocent lives were lost in one of the most brutal attacks in American history. This millennium was ushered in by destruction and bloodshed, more than likely setting a pattern for the decades to come.

Many people ask how such an atrocity could have ever happened. How could the most powerful nation in the world be brought to its knees by a handful of men armed with box cutters?

This question is a good one if not asked rhetorically. This query could, if pursued aggressively, provide answers and comfort to a whole country of mourners.

Unfortunately, asking these questions or casting doubt on the government's official report has not only been discouraged, but is often seen as unpatriotic or even treasonous.

In his book, "Democracy in America," French thinker and politician Alexis de Tocqueville said, "In America the majority raises formidable barriers around the liberty of opinion; within these barriers an author may write what he pleases, but woe to him if he goes beyond them."

The truth of this profound statement was evidenced last week when BYU physics professor Steven Jones was placed on paid leave because the administration was "concerned about the increasingly speculative and accusatory nature" of Professor Jones' claims. Jones first began sharing his theories last fall when he released his paper "Why Indeed Did the World Trade Center Buildings Collapse?"

I do not buy into every idea Jones presents, but, regardless of whether his claims are right or wrong, he has been punished for expressing his opinion - an opinion that was reached based on scientific research in his field of expertise.

I was pleased to see that I was not alone in applauding a little conflict and freedom of expression. In his September 8 letter to the editor, Eric Rasmussen expressed his gratitude to hear a dissenting voice at BYU. Even though Rasmussen immediately dismissed Jones as a "quack" without defining or backing up that accusation, and even though the university is most definitely not "staying the heck out of [Jones'] way" anymore, I am glad that alternative voices can at least be heard, if not heeded.

I have discussed and debated the events of 9/11 with dozens of people, many of who hold strong opinions contrary to my own. This opposition does not bother me, I agree wholeheartedly with Voltaire in that "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

What I most definitely do not agree with are people who have the nerve to tell me that my opinion is wrong when they have not done any research on the matter. I have yet to meet more than a handful of people who have actually read the 9/11 Commission Report, much less the publications standing in opposition to that report.

I came to this university to gain knowledge and understanding. I am forever indebted to many wonderful professors who have shown me the importance of discovering truth for myself; I hope that I never let them down.

I encourage everyone to shake off his or her complacency and seek the truth. Examine both sides of this and every story to reach your own educated and informed conclusions. Questioning the government is not unpatriotic. The reality is that by blindly following our leaders and accepting what they spoon-feed us to be absolute certainty, we are rejecting the philosophies of freedom and truth upon which this great country was founded.

Apathy will only lead our country farther from the vision that was so eagerly fought for by our Founding Fathers.



No comments:

Post a Comment