Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Brokeback Whinin'


Gary Coleman is much shorter in person, but more on that later.

I was just reading an article on CNN.com that speaks of Brokeback author Annie Proulx's outrage at the Academy for giving the Oscar to "Crash" instead of "Brokeback Mountain."

In a British newspaper, the 70-year-old author of the original Brokeback short story proceeds to rip the Academy a new one by saying declaring them to be ""out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city."

I have seen both "Crash" and "Brokeback." In my (admittidly limited) opinion, "Crash" was far superior in almost every way. The ensemble cast of the film was simply amazing, bringing the audience through an often intesne spectrum of human emotions. The only point on which I can admit that Brokeback was a superior work is in its cinematography; it is a very beautiful film.

Los Angeles and Academy voters were not 'homophobic' and were certainley not scared to vote for the controversial "Brokeback," they simply viewed the entries and chose the better of the two. Having said that, however, I must say that I was just as surprised as Mr. Nicholson when "Crash" won for best picture, which I think is indicative of the power of clever advertising people, who made sure everybody knew who was going to win.

Annie Proulx is just pissed that she is missing out on the increased royalties that would surely come from a Best Picture win.

1 comment:

  1. I admit to being EXTREMELY hesitant to see it, but after some of my
    good friends saw it with favorable opinions, I decided to check it out.
    I would not say I saw a movie that I actually didn't. I take my
    movies very seriously. Who are you, by the way?

    -mwasa

    ReplyDelete